Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, May 15, 2017

40

The year I turned 30, I wasn't sure I was ready.  Moving from my 20's to my 30's seemed like a big step, and I struggled a bit with that milestone.  My way of dealing with the change was to celebrate in style.  We had a big party.  I went to Vegas with my friends.  I went sky-diving.  I ran 2 marathons.  It was a big milestone and I felt like it needed to be commemorated in a big way.

That was 10 years ago.  Yesterday was my 40th birthday.  I didn't want a big party.  I didn't need an epic gift or a lavish vacation.  I don't have any plans for a crazy adventure or new experience.  I'm not struggling with this milestone.  There are flowers on my dining room table.  Homemade goodies on my counter.  My mantle is filled with cards.  I got texts and phone calls from people I love.  I got special gifts from special people.  There is a week-end get-away with my husband in the near future.  And my children lavished me with hugs and love and homemade gifts.

I am not struggling because I'm right where I want to be in my life.  I'm not worried about the fact that I have more wrinkles, more gray hair, more pounds than I did 10 years ago.  I don't care that I have less free time, less energy, less traveling than I did 10 years ago.  I have an amazing husband who is thoughtful, devoted, and my true partner in life.  I have family and friends who always know just how to make me feel special and make me feel loved.  And the fact that yesterday was also Mother's Day just makes sense, because the biggest reason I am right where I want to be at 40 is no secret.




These 3 fill my life in a way that travels and adventures and parties never could.  My life is full.  My heart is full.  I am content.  I'm 40, and I am right where I want to be.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Belated birthday friend! What a lovely post! I wish I felt as confident and content as you (mine was in January and I reallllllllllly struggled with it). It is just a number after all, right? It's not that I long to go back, maybe I'm just less confident with my ability to parent well through the teen years...so, let's just call it fear of the unknown. :o)

    ReplyDelete