Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Marriage

I recently blogged about Adelie's questions about getting married.  In that conversation, I had told her that she would have to be a grown up to get married and that she can't marry someone who is related to her.  The other night at dinner, Adelie was obviously still thinking about our conversation.  Out of the blue, she said, "Well, I guess I could marry Mr. Dick." 

Now Mr. Dick is a close friend and neighbor of ours who happens to be in his 70s.  I'm assuming that he was the first person she could think of that met the marriage criteria.  1.  He's a man.  2.  He's a grown up.  3.  He's not related to us.  Although a very cute and sweet thought, I informed her that Mr. Dick is already married and added another marriage rule:  You can't marry someone who is already married.  To reassure her, I said, "You probably haven't even met the person you're going to marry.  I didn't know Daddy when I was 4.  I didn't meet him until I was lots older."  Adelie seemed surprised by this and responded, "You didn't know Daddy when you married him??"

She's trying, but apparently she still hasn't quite grasped this marriage thing.  Lucky for all of us, she has plenty of time to figure it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment