Staley wrote the following for a school assignment:
The Best Part of Me
The best parts of me are my feet and my ankles. My feet are small. Smaller than my friends' feet. I like to say that I have pixie feet. My feet are pale in the winter but in the summer, they tan a little bit. With my feet I am able to sprint quickly down the street. I am also able to lightly leap off the diving board and roller blade effortlessly in my driveway. Without my feet I would not be able to skillfully tap dance or fearlessly climb rocks. I also wouldn't be able to astound my family by smoothly standing on one foot for well over a minute.
My ankles are not too thin and not too fat. They are just the right size for my feet. Sometimes they are bumpy when they are bitten by bugs, but when all the bugs go away, my ankles are smooth. With my ankles I am able to walk clumsily around on my heels. I am also able to shakily hold my little brother on my feet. Without my ankles I would not be able to spin freely across the dance floor, and through my house. I wouldn't even be able to walk right and I would have to stiffly waddle around like a penguin. These are the reasons I think my feet and ankles are the best part of me.