Today I watched Liam for the day since his baby-sitter was off. (Liam is Staley's cousin and birthday twin.) He and Staley were playing with Play-Doh in the playroom while I was feeding Adelie breakfast. All of a sudden, I heard loud crying. I rushed into the playroom to find both Staley and Liam in tears. I asked Liam, "What happened?" (Based on the serious crying, I assumed there was some hitting, pushing, or toy stealing that had ensued.) Liam responded through his tears, "I wanted to help Staley." Confused, I asked Staley, "Why are you crying?" She sobbed, "Liam was helping me, and I wanted to do it by myself."
There was no physical injury. There was no lack of sharing or stealing a favorite toy or saying something mean. Just a lot of tears over one child trying to help another. And that, my friends, is life with a 2 year old.