Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Football and Family

Friday night we went as a family to the high school football game.  Although we've taken the kids to see the marching band a time or two, this was our first full family football game.  All three kids loved it!  They loved the band and they loved the dance team and they loved the snacks Zach got from the concession stand, but 2/3 of them were also really intrigued by the game itself.  Adelie's friend sat with us and the two of them entertained each other throughout the entire game with nothing but each other, a notebook, and a pen.  I don't think they watched any of the game.  However, Staley sat by Zach and he explained the game and the rules to her as we watched.  Briggs was the biggest surprise.  He sat on my lap but stayed glued to the game almost the entire time.  He enthusiastically cheered when everyone around us cheered.  He watched the action. He made lots of observations and asked lots of questions.

When we first got to the game, I pointed out the two teams on the field and asked,  "Who do you think we should root for?  Do you think we should cheer for the white team or the green team?"  He replied, "I think both."  A little later, he pointed to the row of players standing on the sideline and asked, "Are they waiting in line for their turn to tackle?"  Ummmm...kind of.

I love these new experiences and activities that we get to enjoy as a family now that the kids are getting a little older.  And I especially love seeing them through the eyes of my children.