Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Pre-Christmas Fun

There are still plenty of things that are on my list to get done before Christmas tomorrow, and posting about all the festivities we've had this year leading up to the big day probably isn't the top priority.  However, I'd rather look through fun pictures of our December thus far and remember all we've done than wrap presents, fold laundry, or inventory stocking stuff to make sure I've got enough.  So here goes...

We kicked off holiday festivities at the beginning of December with the girls' Christmas program at school.

Staley was chosen to be one of the third grade narrators to introduce one of her class's songs.  A microphone and a gym full of people?  That's her comfort zone.

Both girls sang 3 songs with their class.  And even though I got there super early and got rock star seats in the front row, we still couldn't see Adelie during her performance.  I don't think we've ever had a year where we could see both girls.

We celebrated Papa's birthday with a race car themed birthday party.  (Briggs insisted that there needed to be a theme for the party.)  There was a race car cake, race car decorations, and Briggs and I even planned a few race car games.

Zach went to Memphis for a week-end with his friend, Chris, to run the St. Jude marathon.  He and Chris had a good time together, and Zach was pleased to improve his marathon PR.

While Zach was away, we filled our time with a fun week-end.  The girls had a cousin sleepover at Uma and Papa's house where they made their own pizzas, played American Girl dolls, and had lots of sweets and treats.

The girls also got to go out to eat and see 'The Nutcracker' ballet with Grammie, Caroline, and Aunt Melissa.  While the girls were having fun with grandparents and cousins, Briggs and I played at home.  We played trains.  Lots and lots of trains.

After hearing his sisters talk (and sing) all about the new Frozen movie, Briggs decided he wanted to see it too.  The girls were super eager to go again, so we enjoyed an afternoon at the movies.  Although Briggs was apprehensive during the previews, he LOVED the movie.  

The kids all took part in the church Christmas program.  The little kids (pre-school and Kindergarten) sang a song and did a poem.  Briggs was the donkey for the poem.  And although he initially missed his cue to come down to the front when they talked about the donkey, he recovered with a little help and looked super cute.

The older kids did a small play and both my girls tried out for speaking roles.  Adelie was shepherd #3 and enjoyed having her own lines to say.

Staley, of course, wanted the biggest role in the play.  And when all the other kids found out that they would have to memorize a bunch of lines, Staley ended up being the only one to try out for that role.  She loved her role as B.A. Countable, the census taker in Bethlehem and, of course, threw herself into the role with expression and flair.

The girls had dress up days at school, with Adelie's class dressing up the week before Christmas break and Staley's class doing 12 days of Christmas.  YIKES!  That's a lot of dress up days! So when Staley told me she needed reindeer antlers for Rudolph day about 30 minutes before it was time to leave for school, this was the best we could do.  And although Staley wasn't sure about looking like she had hands coming out of her head, I was pretty proud of our last minute antler solution.

I had fun attending the school Christmas parties for all 3 kids.  I was in charge of games for Briggs' party and enjoyed spending time with him and his preschool friends.

Adelie and Staley had their parties at the same time, so I bounced back and forth between their two parties.  Adelie had fun playing games, eating treats, and making Grinch slime.

I missed the games at Staley's party, but got to hang out with her as she had treats and hung out with her friends.  I love having these opportunities to see my kids in their classrooms with their friends and teachers.

The girls had their performances for their Stage Kids production of 'Frozen Jr.' this past week-end.  I feel like this deserves its own post, so more to come.  Needless to say, it was great and I loved seeing my girls perform.

Staley also performed a tap dancing routine with her Broadway Dance class at the Christmas Caberet that NTA (the company that does Stage Kids) put on.  It was fun to see what she has spent this semester learning in class.

And, of course, amidst all the performances and activities, we've had plenty of time at home to play Christmas train, read Christmas books, and make Christmas gifts and goodies.

And since one of our favorite activities this time of year is driving around to look at Christmas lights, we always fit this in anytime we are coming or going.  The kids all have favorite lights or houses around town that they request each time we are in the car.  I love that something so easy brings my children so much Christmas joy.

Our December has been building up to Christmas with so many fun and festive activities.  It's hard to believe that it is here already.  Happy Christmas Eve!!  Christmas...we are ready!!