Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, November 30, 2020

Full Day

Briggs started off his Kindergarten journey as a half-day Kindergartener.  With the uncertainty of everything going into this school year coupled with some of Briggs' difficulties at home with emotional regulation, we felt that half-day Kindergarten was a nice option to bridge the difference between preschool and full day grade school.  We thought that, if things were going well at school, we might change him to full day for the second half of the year.  

That transition came a touch sooner than we had anticipated.  Briggs had a student teacher whose last day was the Friday before Thanksgiving week.  She was having a pizza party over lunch for her class and Briggs wanted to stay for the party.  We just had him stay for the rest of the school day and picked him up after school with his sisters.  As soon as he came out of the door from school that day, he said, "I want to be full day all the time!"  We said that maybe we could start that after Christmas, to which he replied, "No!  I want to start tomorrow."  Since tomorrow in that scenario happened to be Saturday and the following week was only two days long before Thanksgiving break, we checked with his teacher and school and made the determination to start after Thanksgiving break...which was today.

Briggs was so excited to get out his new lunch box and pack his lunch for his first official day of full day Kindergarten.  He is excited about getting to do music and computer lab and all the afternoon "specials" that he has missed for the first half of the year.  Although I will miss having that hour and a half of Briggs time each day, I know he is ready for this transition.  And honestly, now that the weather is getting colder, having one less walk to and from the school each day won't be all bad.  I think both Briggs and I needed these first 3 months of half-day Kindergarten to ease us into this transition to school...

...and at least one of us is ready to move on to the next phase.
Full day Kindergarten, here he comes!!