Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, February 8, 2021

2021

 Adelie brought home a school project she made about 2021.  She had to finish the sentence:  "My 2021 is going to be..."  I can think of so many ways I would have finished that sentence.  "Better than 2020."  "Getting back to normal."  "Filled with all the things cancelled in 2020."  "A year of traveling and events and being with people."  I would have focused on my hopes for a return to normal life after the year that 2020 was.  Adelie's answer, though, gave me pause.  She said, "My 2021 is going to be full of running and kindness and hope and sweets and love."  Those are all things we need in life.  Those are all things that kept our 2020 manageable and things we can easily achieve in all circumstances.  My list would have focused on things outside of my control.  Adelie's list was all things within her control.

What a lesson for me.  I struggle because I focus on things that I cannot control.  I mourn the circumstances and am sad because of what isn't.  I need to learn from Adelie and focus on those things that I can control.  I can control how I view my circumstances.  I can control how I spread kindness and hope and love.  I can find joy in the small things like running and sweets.  And so, my 2021 is going to be...

...a learning, growing, humbling experience that will continue to shape me, mold me, and teach me that although I can't control the circumstances, I can control how I respond to them.  In all circumstances, I can respond with kindness and hope and love...and maybe some sweets too.