Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Saturday, May 9, 2020

Quarantine Style

We are not a fashion conscious family.  The kids generally choose their own clothes and dress for their own comfort.  My comfortable sweatshirts and yoga pants have always gotten their fair share of use.  Zach's penchant for running t-shirts and blue and orange clothing strongly influenced his daily clothing choices.  Prior to quarantine, however, we made an effort.  I would attempt to direct some of my children's daily clothing choices.  I'd strongly encourage wearing more than a 3 shirt rotation.  I'd assist in determining whether or not a shirt actually matched the pants it was being paired with.  I'd insist on hair being brushed on a daily basis.  I tried to ensure that outgrown clothing or pants with holes or shirts with stains were removed from daily use.  I'd allow the occasional pajama day, but pajamas past noon was not the norm.  I'd occasionally curl or straighten my hair.  Zach would wear nicer clothes for work.  With quarantine, however, the style choices made by my family don't really matter as we are not really going anywhere or being seen by anyone.  Zach goes to work in shorts and a t-shirt.  The kids are not generally dressed before noon.  Staley has worn her 3 favorite athletic t-shirts on a near constant rotation.  Adelie will go all day (or two) without brushing her hair. I don't generally do anything to my hair, put on any make-up, or wear anything that doesn't have an elastic waist.  And Briggs?  Well, when you just let your 5 year old make all their own fashion choices, the results can be a bit amusing.

Briggs wanted to get "dressed up" for church on Sunday.  So he paired his athletic shorts with his favorite Halloween shirt and a clip on tie.

There is something a little freeing about our quarantine style.  Although Staley seems to have outgrown most of her pants and pajamas overnight, she is still wearing them all because...why not?  Although I usually try to dissuade Briggs from "matching" his pants with the exact same color of shirt, I don't anymore because...why not?  Although my kids used to get dressed every morning before school, now they attend school everyday in their pajamas because...why not?  Quarantine style saves us time.  It saves some laundry.  It saves some arguments.  When it comes to quarantine style, there is never the question of "Can I wear this?"  Because the answer is always...

"Why not?"