Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, October 16, 2020

School Days

I am so thankful for the fact that my kids get to attend school in person this year.  As so many others are engaged in remote learning or hybrid learning plans, I am grateful that my kids are going to school each day with their teachers and their friends.  I'm happy that they get to experience some of the normalcy of the grade school experience.  I love that Staley is getting to engage in all those special 4th grade opportunities that she has been waiting for since she started at Davenport.  Nine weeks in, I am feeling blessed that the school is doing the best they can to keep my kids healthy and safe while providing them with the education, socialization, and experiences that they have so sorely missed during these past months.

I am especially happy that Briggs did not have to start off his Kindergarten experience with remote learning.  Kindergarten is so fun and so foundational for a love of school and learning.  We love Mrs. Doty, and he has also loved having Mrs. Davis as his student teacher.

The Kindergarteners did 26 days of ABC boot camp.  That meant 26 consecutive themed days.  It's a lot for a mom, but Briggs loved dressing up and doing special things every day at school.  He and Dava celebrated 'L' with Luau Day.

Briggs was killing it for Wacky Day.

And Army Day!

Although the second grade Monarch program had to happen virtually this year, Adelie still had the chance to be a part of this annual tradition.

She was extra excited that she had a butterfly to release during the virtual program.  The only downside...her teacher started the video too late and missed the actual release of the butterfly.

Staley has been loving 4th grade.  Although not having any close friends in her class has been a bummer, she has enjoyed all the "extras" that go into being the oldest in the school.  Staley was selected to be on the news team (The Hornet Buzz) that produces a weekly grade school news show.  Some of her closer friends were also selected which gives her the opportunity to spend time with them a few times a week at school.  She was also just selected to be on the Safety Patrol for this coming quarter, which she was also super excited about.

Having these past 9 weeks of school has been such a blessing for the kids.  My kids have always loved school and I'm so grateful that they get the chance to enjoy it during this crazy hard time.