One thing that this COVID pandemic has granted us over these past 7 months is family time. Lots and lots of family time. We have very few extra-curricular activities. We rarely have any week-end plans. We have limited our outings and trips and activities. We have kept our social calendar relatively empty. When you add that all up, it means that we have way more time together at home than we have in the past. There is something wonderful about family time and I do try to cherish it but sometimes it is just a lot. A lot of noise. A lot of singing. A lot of talking. A lot of stories to listen to. A lot of needs. A lot of tattling. A lot of whining. A lot of small people in my personal space. A lot of hours together in a confined space. A lot of togetherness. So much togetherness.
I do not want to complain. I love my children. I love my husband. I love spending time with them and creating memories. I know we are trying to make responsible decisions and follow appropriate guidelines, which means that life needs to look different right now. I get that. But somedays I have flashbacks to my at-home days with 3 kids under the age of 5. I remember how I would count down the minutes until nap time and bed time just for some alone time, some quiet time. Right now I find myself doing the same. On our totally free and open week-ends, I look forward to a long run or a lengthy shower or those precious moments of quiet. Movie night has become at least a weekly occurrence as it is a family activity that we can all enjoy together QUIETLY. As much as I thought I cherished those 1-2 hours of quiet after the kids had gone to bed before all this, I appreciate them all the more now.
I know we are blessed. We are healthy. We have not been personally impacted by the financial hardships and job uncertainty that so many are facing. Our kids are going to school in person 5 days/week. Our kids can play well together and entertain themselves and find joy in all the home time that we are experiencing. I have so much to be thankful for. And right now, with the kids all tucked away in bed, I am thankful for silence.