Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, October 8, 2023

They Say...

On the way to church this morning, Adelie asked how long trick or treating goes for.  I said, "It usually starts at 5:00 and ends at 8:00.  So if you just find the difference between 5 and 8, you'll know how long trick or treating goes."  In response, Adelie said, "This is a long weekend.  I'm not going to do math!"

Staley generally gets a ride home from her singing group with 2 boys from Eureka.  One is a senior and his brother is in 8th grade.  I was telling Staley today that she would be riding home again with them.  She sighed and said she didn't like riding with them.  I asked why and she said, "It's just awkward.  We just ride home the whole way in silence."  I responded, "You could ask questions or start a conversation.  It's a life skill to know how to start a conversation."  Staley replied, "I think I'd rather just ride in silence."

Oh, these girls!  I hope they are learning the skills they need to succeed in life.  Otherwise we'll have a life filled with unanswered applied math questions and awkward silences.