Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Sassy Pants

Briggs has generally been my super sweet, cuddly, mild-mannered, loving little boy.  And although that boy is still around, he has been trying out a new set of behaviors that I find much less endearing.  Is it cute when my 4 year old stomps his foot and sassily informs me of the things that he will and will not be doing?  Nope!  Do I love it when he makes demands and then gets really upset when those demands are not met?  Not really.  Is it adorable when he gets mad and then makes threats about spitting or punching or kicking?  Not so much.  Is it even more fun when he actually attempts to do those things?  Definitely not!  Do I love it when my loving little boy says things in the heat of his anger like "I don't like you" or "you're mean" or "I'm never going to talk to you again"?  I do not.  And are his tantrums and fits when he gets consequences for these behaviors heart warming and sweet?  Not in the slightest.  I'm not sure why these behaviors are making a strong showing lately, but this is one childhood phase that I'm hoping to extinguish quickly.


The other day Briggs was not having a good day.  There was a lot of sassiness and defiance.  A lot of poor listening.  A lot of unkindness shown towards his sisters.  And in response, a lot of consequences for poor behavior.  Towards the end of the day, the kids were playing together while I was making dinner.  I overheard Staley and Adelie role playing with Briggs a variety of different scenarios.  Like "When Mom asks you to clean up your toys, what should you do?"  Or "If you want to play with something that Adelie is playing with, what could you say?"  Briggs seemed to be a very willing participant in this activity.  When I asked the girls what they were doing, they told me, "We are giving Briggs good boy lessons."  Then Staley showed me the list of "good boy rules" she had made, including things like "be kind", "do as your told", "take turns", and "use kind words."

It seems like a good place to start.

I know that childhood phases come and go.  I know that emotional regulation will continue to improve as Briggs grows and matures.  I understand that boundaries will be tested and that behavior modification is a continuous work in progress.  I know that, even without lessons, Briggs is a good boy with a sweet heart.  And I know that we will work through these behaviors and come out better on the other side.

I just hope it is really soon!