We are a reading family. We have always been a reading family. From the moment our kids were born, we've read to them. We are permanent fixtures at the public library. We have shelves full of books in our house. All our kids have loved books and loved reading and have consistently grown into better and more independent readers. And just this past week, Briggs has taken the next step on his independent reading journey.
Briggs has gotten to be a good and proficient reader. He has been reading a chapter book series (Dinosaur Cove) aloud to us since this summer, improving almost weekly with his fluency and efficiency. This past week-end, Zach was reading on the couch and Briggs asked to join him. Instead of asking to read aloud to Zach or asking Zach to read to him, Briggs instead decided that he would finish his current Dinosaur Cove book silently to himself.
After finishing that book, Briggs started scouring the bookshelves for other easier chapter books that he could read to himself. He polished off a Magic Treehouse book, an I Survived book, and several Princess in Black books over the next day or two. He then went to the library, came home with a pile of Magic Treehouse and I Survived books, and has been devouring them.
Briggs is now reading his chapter books to himself every chance he gets. He has been leaping out of bed as soon as his alarm goes off in the morning so he can get ready quickly and get some reading in before school. He has been reading in the car, reading in his room, reading on the couch. This realization that he can read chapter books to himself has ignited a new fire.
I love my reading family. I love watching my kids grow in their love of reading. I love the pride that they feel when they've conquered a new step in their reading journey.
And I sure do love my new independent reader!