As this is our family blog to remember our life at given moments in time, I have struggled to even find the words to discuss THIS moment in time. This moment where the COVID-19 pandemic took over the world. This moment where a virus, infecting hundreds of thousands of people, caused everything to come to a screeching halt. This moment where words like quarantine and shelter-in-place and social distancing became the new normal as we adjusted to living our life in isolation.
For the past week (and indefinitely more to follow), America has been closing up shop. Schools? Closed. Work places? Closed. Stores? Closed. Churches? Closed. Playgrounds? Closed. Disney World? Closed. Broadway? Closed. Every concert. Every sporting event. Every meeting. Every race. Cancelled. Everyone who can is working from home. Schools are doing their best to provide on-line or remote education opportunities. Churches are live streaming their services. People are asked to only leave their homes for essentials, like groceries and going to the doctor. It's an unprecedented time and continues to feel surreal as I survey what is going on around us.
Many people in our country are struggling at the moment. This virus, much like the flu to healthy individuals, is particularly dangerous to the elderly and medically vulnerable. It's highly contagious and spreads before individuals even know they have it. The only way to help control the spread is to keep people away from each other. And so, small businesses are being forced to close up shop. Many people are losing their jobs. Restaurants are struggling to stay afloat by providing curb-side carryout services. Hospitals and nursing homes are not allowing any visitors. Stores are selling out of daily essentials like toilet paper and cleaning supplies. It makes me wonder, when this is all said and done, what the state of our country will be.
I hurt for all those who are struggling, either with the illness or the ramifications of all of the closures. But it's also an opportunity for me to pause and realize how very blessed I am and to focus on the positives that this brings with it. I am blessed that Zach has a steady job that he can do from home. I am blessed that I work in a healthcare setting that is proactively taking steps to keep me and those I care for as safe as possible. I am blessed that school comes easily to my kids and they are not struggling to complete their schoolwork at home. I am blessed that my kids have so many interests and simply enjoy spending time with each other. I am blessed that I have friends and family who are staying socially connected via text and calls. I am blessed to have running as an opportunity for exercise and fresh air, and I am blessed by a running partner who provides support and socialization. I am blessed by a church that is doing its best to remain connected at a time that connection is difficult. I am blessed that I love my husband, love my family, and love spending time with them.
I know there are so many disappointments and fears and struggles at this time. Was Adelie so sad about her birthday festivities being indefinitely postponed? You bet. Did Staley shed some tears about her cancelled volleyball tournament? She sure did. Is Zach struggling with spending hours shut up in his home office each day for work? I'm sure he is. But at the end of the day, we are healthy. We are together. With America closed, all there is to do is stay home and enjoy this time as a family. And that is just what we are doing.
