Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Aladdin, Jr.

Although it was scheduled to be performed in December, the kids' winter Stage Kids performance finally made it to the stage.  The kids got to perform in a beautiful new venue with some new friends.  This was also a new adventure for Briggs as he made his stage debut.   Aladdin, Jr. was a triumph!

The Eureka cast of Aladdin, Jr.

It was fun to have all 3 of our kids involved in an activity that they could do together throughout the fall.  My girls did a great job of helping Briggs learn his lines and know what he needed to do throughout practices and rehearsals.  My niece, Lila, also joined the kids for this session of Stage Kids which made it even more fun!

It's a family affair!

All three kids were pleased with their parts.  Staley was cast as Iago, the evil sidekick to Jafar.  She has really found a place playing comedic roles.  She is so at home on the stage and truly shines.  We were talking the other day and I asked her if she ever gets nervous.  She said, "I am the opposite of most people.  I have backstage fright.  I'm a little nervous before the show, but once I'm on stage I'm not nervous at all."  I think that says it all.  She was born for this!

Jafar and Iago

Adelie was cast as a begger and as part of the ensemble.  She had one line to deliver and knew it well.  She also got to showcase some of her gymnastics talents as she cartwheeled and did handstands down the aisle during the Prince Ali song, as well as ended the final show number in the splits.  She always enjoys being in the shows no matter what part she has.

My little begger spending time with one of Jasmine's maidens

Briggs did great in his first show.  He was cast as Prince Abdullah and a member of the ensemble.  He had about 6 lines that he had to memorize with big words like insignificant, impertinence, unfounded, and amiable.  He looked so little on stage, but knew all his lines and delivered them perfectly.  Although he decided that he didn't want to sign up for the next show, I felt like his stage debut was a success.  He seemed to have a good time, and his sisters loved having him join them.

My kiddos with their friend the Genie

Even during the time of COVID, my kids had so many people come to support them during their show.  Since the shows were moved to a MUCH larger venue, there were plenty of tickets even while maintaining social distancing.  I didn't get pictures of all the people who came to support them (especially since there was not the typical meet and greet time after the show), but I love that my kids are surrounded by such love and support.

We invited the kids' teachers to come as our guests and they ALL came.  Although I didn't get his picture with Mrs. Doty, both Mrs. Doty (Briggs' teacher) and Mrs. Davis (Briggs' student teacher last semester) came to see him in the show.

Mrs. Khattar came to see Adelie, and even told Adelie that she didn't have to do her homework for the next two nights because of the show.  For Adelie, that's about the greatest gift anyone could give her!

Staley was thrilled to have Mrs. Mickna come as well.  The girls' teachers even brought them celebratory roses for after the show.

Both sets of grandparents came, although I didn't get a picture with Uma and Papa.

Zach's Aunt Jan and his Aunt Sandi never miss a show.  And, of course, Lila's family came both nights so the kids also had another aunt, uncle, and some cousins in the audience as well.

Miss Vickie joined us for the show one evening.  Another neighbor couple as well as one of my mom's friends also saw a post I made on Facebook and came to see the show as well.

Briggs' little friend Dava came with her mom to see the show.  Apparently after the show, her mom asked her what the best part was.  She said, "When Briggs said his lines and then all his other parts."  She also brought him a little gumball machine as a gift.  He was thrilled!

I'm so glad my kids had the opportunity to do something they enjoy that provided purpose, focus, and socialization during this crazy time.

What a great activity for my kids!  What a nice opportunity to enjoy a night out at the theater! What a great show!!