The first day of a new year is always a time to reflect on the year we've had and then to look ahead to the year to come. And although this past year was not the year anyone could have predicted, I can be grateful for the blessings that this year provided. In a year where health and safety were at the forefront of the world's concerns, I am so grateful that our family has stayed healthy. In a year where shut-downs and lay-offs have wreaked havoc on the financial certainty for so many, I am grateful for stable jobs. My heart hurts for all those who have experienced loss in 2020, whether loss of health, loss of loved ones, loss of jobs, loss of businesses, loss of human connection, loss of important life events, loss of hope. As I hurt for others, however, I can be grateful that 2020 has given me so much more than it has taken.
In 2019, I had moments where I felt overwhelmed and conflicted about how busy our family was getting and questioned the number of activities we were involved in. 2020 allowed us to strip all those away, determine our priorities, and enjoy much more time at home as a family. This year gave me so many opportunities to revel at my children...at their positivity, their joy in the everyday, their acceptance of change, their ability to cope with disappointment, their resiliency, their understanding, their creativity, their friendship with one another. Although this year introduced me to a struggle with anxiety, it also allowed me to gain a deeper empathy for those who struggle on a regular basis. It gave me a stronger reliance on God's grace and peace. It taught me to better let go of things that I cannot control. Limited time spent with those outside our home has given me a stronger appreciation for those opportunities when we can be together. We have strengthened our relationship with neighbors, been more deliberate about reaching out to those who are isolated or alone, and relished those times that we have been able to be with family and friends. This year has given us the opportunity to slow down and focus on what is important. I can truly say this year has given us way more than it has taken away, and I am grateful for the time, the lessons, and the perspective gained from 2020.
As I look ahead to the year to come, my goal is to keep in mind these lessons I've learned this past year. I come into this year with a perspective of hope. Hope that the vaccines put a stop to the spread of COVID. Hope that businesses and entertainment and schools and travel can begin to resume some level of normalcy. Hope that kids can play sports, athletes can compete in the Olympics, entertainers can return to stage, business owners can keep their doors open, people can gather again. Hope that our nation can come out of this pandemic with a feeling of community and appreciation rather than division. And a hope that I can remember what this year has taught me. I hope that I remember that it's okay to say no, to keep the calendar empty, to relish opportunities to be with others, to be deliberate about reaching out to the lonely, to slow down and try new things, to understand that health and safety are not promised, to be grateful for my job and my family, and to understand that the big moments are not what makes a year. This year of little moments has been full of blessings. I hope I can remember that.
