Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Happy Birthday, Adelie!

Five years!  How can five years have flown by already?  Each birthday brings so much joy and excitement into our home, but there is something a little bittersweet about celebrating this passage of time.


Where has this baby gone?  I love when my spindly five year old wraps her wiry legs around me when I pick her up, but I still miss this little head on my chest.  I love when my independent five year old proudly surprises me with a cleaned up playroom or a zipped up coat, but I still remember that helpless baby who needed me to meet her every need.  I love watching my confident five year old run into Sunday School or pre-school or story hour without even a glance back in my direction, but I also vividly recall those days when she was happy to just spend the day napping in my arms.  I love seeing the kind-hearted, generous, social, fun little girl that my Adelie is growing up to be, but that doesn't mean that seeing her baby pictures doesn't give me a twinge of sadness as I think about how quickly these past 5 years have gone.  I love being Adelie's mom.  I loved it when she was a helpless baby in my arms...

and I love it now that she's my independent, confident, funny, sweet, amazing 5 year old!

Happy birthday, my Adelie girl!!
Time is flying by, but thanks for bringing me along for the ride.