Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, May 7, 2018

Stranger Danger

Adelie has recently been very interested in strangers, who they are, and why you are not supposed to talk to them.   Because of this, we've talked at length about things that are okay (saying "hi" to people we don't know when they are walking down the street) and things that aren't okay (taking things from people we don't know, going with people we don't know, getting into a car with someone we don't know,..)  The other day we were all playing in the backyard.  Briggs ran into the front yard to get something from his sandbox.  When he returned, we had this conversation:

Briggs:  "I saw someone I didn't know and I said "hi" to her.  Is that okay?"
Me:  "It's okay that you said hi.  But what if she said, 'Come here, little boy.  Would you like this piece of candy?'  What would you say?"
Briggs:  "Yes please."

Manners?  Check.  Stranger danger?  Still needs some work.