Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

They Say...

The other evening the girls were making "projects" in the yard of Uma and Papa's house by collecting leaves, pine cones, and rocks and then arranging them together.  Briggs walked up with a very serious face and said, "You know that little boy who doesn't get to make any projects?  That boy is me."
#deprivedchild

Briggs and I were playing at the park the other day while Staley was at school and Adelie was at a play date.  We were climbing on a play structure that looks a little like a castle.  Briggs said, "This is our castle.  You will be the king and I will be the princess."  I said, "Maybe you can be the king since kings are boys."  Briggs responded, "No thanks.  I will just be Rapunzel."
#lifewithsisters
#wellrounded

At Easter, Briggs came up to me and asked, "Where is that boy I was playing with?"  I wasn't sure who he was talking about.  I said, "Do you mean Knox?  Was it a boy about your size?"  Briggs responded, "No.  That big boy who was playing cars with me."  In a moment of realization, I said, "You mean Uncle Erik?"  And Briggs exclaimed, "Yes!  Where is Uncle Erik?"
#thatboy

The other day we were playing in the driveway.  Briggs said, "Let's play bat ball."  He went into the garage and brought out the tee for hitting the ball off of.  He said, "Here.  I got the soccer thing."  Then he handed Staley's baseball glove to me and said, "You can use the glub."  A little while later, he dragged out our little basketball hoop and said, "I've got the net thing."
#failingasparents
#butheknowshisprincesses



The other night at bath time, Briggs and Adelie were taking a bath together.  I was in the other room putting away some laundry when I heard Adelie say, "Briggs, stand up.  What is that thing?"  I went into the bathroom in time to see Adelie pointing at Briggs's privates.  We had a quick conversation about how God made boys and girls with different parts.  So it only took Adelie 3 years, 2 months, and 6 days of life with a little brother to discover this difference.  I'm a little concerned about her powers of observation.
#howdidyounotnotice

My mom was watching the kids today.  Adelie asked her if she knew how to spell Mississippi.  My mom said 'no' so Adelie spelled it for her.  My mom said, "You're right!"  Then Adelie said, "So you do know how to spell it?"  My mom admitted that she did, to which Adelie proclaimed, "I didn't know grown-ups could lie."
#busted



Staley made me a Mother's Day poem and a Mother's Day book at school where she had to fill in different answers and adjectives about me.  Her Mother's Day gifts included sentiments like "My mom is as smart as a cat." or "My mom is as helpful as the maleman."  She also noted that if she could buy me anything, it would be "swet pants."  It always makes me smile to see what my kids think about me.

Since Staley loves to sing and we are not a musical family, I thought about signing her up for singing lessons to see if we could help her out in this area.  I mentioned this idea to her to see what she thought.  Her response?  "I don't need singing lessons.  I'm already really good at singing."
#confidence