Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Thursday, September 12, 2013

I Cried

I thought yesterday was a bit of a rough day.  I complained about it to my husband when he came home from work.  Staley woke up around 6:30.  Too early.  So she was tired.  Therefore, she was emotional and a little sassy.  She was testing some boundaries and pushing some buttons.  Adelie had a huge diaper blow-out in her car seat on the way to music class.  She barely napped at all.  I thought that an emotional toddler and cleaning up massive amounts of baby poop and wanting my infant to sleep longer than 30 minutes at a time made for a rough day.

Then I went to work today.  I love my job.  And although many of the children and families I work with are in sad or difficult situations, I can see the positive.  I can focus on helping children improve.  My job is to help children and families not dwell on what they can't do, but on what they can.  But there are some cases that affect me.  And today I cried at my desk as I was reading a chart review on a child I was scheduled to see.  A child not different than my own.  With parents no different than us.  And a devastating diagnosis.  Devastating.  And I cried.  I cried for that family.  I cried for that child.  I cried because it could just as easily be my child.  My devastation.  And I realized that yesterday was not a rough day.  It was a blessing.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me to be thankful. Thankful that I am healthy and here to see and enjoy my family--especially the Grandkids. I am thankful that all the kids are healthy and happy-especially Cade!! Jill, Rob, you and Zach are such wonderful parents. I love you Ellen. Call me when you have a day like yesterday and I can come over and help--anytime:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Wednesday was super awful for us too. Liam wouldn't listen, he had 10 tantrums before 8:30 am, but you are right. I should be thankful that I have him here with me and healthy. Even if he is occasionally a pain.

    ReplyDelete