Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, September 16, 2013

Napping Woes

Staley has never been a great napper.  She had pretty consistent napping habits as an infant but gave up her second nap before she was one and has gone through periods of no napping on and off since before her second birthday.  But lately my napping woes have been coming from another member of our household.

Adelie has lately been deciding that napping interferes with her day.  So although she'll still take 2 or sometimes 3 naps, they have recently only been little cat naps.  She used to do that occasionally, but then would make up for it by taking longer naps the next day.  But for the past week or so, this hasn't been the case.  I can almost set my watch to it.  I put her down and hear her 30 minutes later.  Nap after nap.  Day after day.  No matter how tired she seems.  How crashed she is when I put her down.  And she doesn't wake up fussy, like she still needs to sleep.  Nope.  Wide awake.  Squealing and 'talking'.  When I go up to get her, she's generally playing with her feet or peeking over the crib bars at me.  She's still happy and smiley during the day.  She's still sleeping well at night. But that can't be enough.  I want to blame teething.  I want to blame a growth spurt.  I want to blame congestion or a room that's not dark enough or a phase or getting off schedule.  I want it to be something that I can fix.  Something that will fix itself.  I want it to be something other than a daughter who just doesn't need daytime sleep.  Because daytime sleep is important.  For health.  For development.  And for a mother to have a little time to get things done.

1 comment:

  1. She is her Father's daughter. Zach just wasn't a sleeper either--except when he got older like middle school-then he could sleep until noon. Hopefully this is a phase and things will change.

    ReplyDelete