Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Old Age

I don't worry about getting older.  The fact that my 37th birthday is quickly approaching doesn't phase me.  I may argue with my husband when he says that 37 is late 30's and not mid-30's.  (I still think it's mid.)  Would I prefer to have less gray hair?  Sure.  (Although I don't really blame that on age.  I blame that on my dad.  :))  Would I be okay with my 20 year old skin?  Body?  Abs?  You bet!  I realize how the years have passed when kids I used to baby-sit for have their own kids.  When some of the first children I saw in therapy are graduating from high school.  When kids who were born in 1998 are driving.  But all things considered, I don't feel old.

Well, until I went to the doctor this morning and got diagnosed with SHINGLES.  You know, that disease that you associate with those individuals over 65.  The one that you are likely to get if you live to be over 85.  Yup.  That's the one I've got.

Last week, I started having some low back pain and some tingling/numbness/itching to go along with it.  I attributed it to running while pushing the girls in the double stroller.  But it didn't go away, it didn't really feel like musculo-skeletal pain, and then I noticed what I thought was a bug bite in the midst of the problem region.  I started wondering if I got some weird spider bite or Lyme disease or some other random bug toxin coursing through my body causing my pain, so I went to my doctor to ease my mind.  But shingles???  Was not expecting that.

I still feel energetic.  Youthful.  Fun.  I don't think 37 is old.  In my mind, I still feel like I'm in my 20's.  But apparently my body thinks I'm 65.


1 comment:

  1. Sandi got them when she was in college. No fun at any age. :-(

    ReplyDelete