Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, April 4, 2014

What I Really Want to Do...

...is spend 3 hours at a doctor's appointment with my 1 year old and my 3 year old, said no one ever.

Adelie has had a blocked tear duct in her right eye since birth.  We have been waiting for her to turn 1, hoping it would go away and knowing that if it didn't, she'd have to have surgery.  It hasn't gone away, so today we went to the eye doctor for what I thought was going to be a quick, simple "yes, that's what it is" appointment and to schedule her surgery.  Well, 3 hours, 4 examiners, and 1 doctor later we now know that Adelie has a blocked tear duct in her right eye and will need surgery.

I am not the world's most patient person.  I know this about myself.  I refuse to wait more than 30 minutes at a restaurant to be seated.  If there is a long line at the check-out, I often decide that whatever I am buying can wait.  Traffic jams are excruciating.  And spending my whole morning in one waiting room after another after another...let's just say that I was as fussy and irritable as my tired, hungry, bored baby.

All things considered, my girls did great.  I can't imagine having a very active toddler or a high maintenance infant and making it through a morning like this.  Because my girls are generally easy, and by the end, we were all getting pretty antsy.  We initially saw one examiner who did an exam and dilated Adelie's eyes.  Then we waited for almost an hour (luckily they were playing 'Frozen' in this waiting room and there was a little chair that Adelie enjoyed climbing on and off) before being taken to another room where we saw 3 more individuals BEFORE the doctor ever came in.  This little room did not have 'Frozen' or a little chair.  It just had the minimal toys/snacks that we had packed, my phone, and lots of doctor equipment that I was trying to keep Adelie from playing with.  Each time the door opened and someone other than the doctor came in, I had a hard time keeping the annoyance in my voice to a minimum.  3 times.  3 different people came in to do different things or ask different questions before the doctor FINALLY came in...and verified what we already knew  (I know.  I know.  Proper procedures.  Following protocols.  Being thorough.  All good things.  But 3 hours for a 1 year old's appointment.  Really??)  And just when I thought it was over, we had to go to yet another waiting room to wait and meet with the surgery counselor and finally, the scheduler.  When it was all said and done, we were 3 hours in, an hour past lunch, and ready for nap-time.  The fact that we only had a few Adelie tears and a little Staley sassiness was pretty remarkable.  I was proud of my girls...and myself.  Because of the 3 of us, I might have been the closest to a melt-down.

No comments:

Post a Comment