Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Letter

*Many of you have received our Christmas letter this year, but as this blog is as much for us as it is for you, I'm posting it here as well.  So if you've already read our letter, feel free to skip this blog post and check back later when I post something that isn't old news.

Dear Santa,

We don’t have an elf on our shelf, but I know you’ve probably been keeping an eye on us throughout the year.  For what it’s worth, I think I’ve been pretty good.  True, I haven’t shown the self-control necessary to lose the last of my baby weight (from my now 9 month old baby.)  My patience for toddler tears over ridiculous things (like being ‘too wet’ after a bath) has worn a little thin.  And I’ll admit.  Sometimes I intentionally bump my soundly sleeping husband as I’m getting into or out of bed in the middle of the night to feed a crying baby.  But all things considered, I still think I’ve done enough to slide onto the ‘good’ list.  And to be honest, I’m not really asking for anything for myself this year.  I already have a job I love with the perfect part-time schedule.  (In case you’re curious, I just work 2 days/week at the Children’s Hospital of Illinois as a pediatric occupational therapist.)  Both my daughters are happy and healthy.  My husband is loving and helpful.  We finished our basement this year, enjoyed a week in Michigan, and are surrounded by wonderful family and friends.  So this year, I just have a few Christmas wishes for my family instead.

Let’s start with Adelie.  This will be her first Christmas as she was born in March of this year.  She’s my happy, active, adventurous, wrecking ball of a baby girl.  She is on the move and likes emptying shelves, eating things she finds on the floor, getting into whatever her big sister is playing with, and crawling after the cats.  I’m sure if you are going off her list, you probably have a few empty water bottles or tasty pieces of paper in your sack of gifts for her.  However, I’d like to make another request.  All I ask is for you to bring her something so wonderful that it will cause her to sit still in quiet amazement for long periods of time.  And if I can be so bold as to ask for 2 gifts on Adelie’s behalf, I’m sure she would enjoy consistently sleeping through the night.

Now I’m sure your sack is overflowing with Staley’s gifts.  As my almost 3 year old, Staley is no longer a toddler.  She has become a little girl—my talkative, social, opinionated, independent, confident, imaginative, sweet, happy little girl.  Staley loves singing and dancing, princesses and mermaids, horses and Dora.  I’m sure the Sophia doll she wants is already wrapped up and ready to go.  But my little girl has outgrown many things in this past year.  She is done with diapers (hooray) and naps (boo).  My Christmas wish for Staley is to continue to outgrow her toddler ways so that we she can enjoy consistently stable emotions and tear-free days.

Zach’s a little trickier.  Like me, he doesn’t need much.  He is now supervising the Financial Statement Unit at State Farm…and loves it.  He decided not to run for city council again so that he has more time home with his girls.  He fits in a little running, a little teaching, and plenty of Play-Doh and princesses.  This may be a tall order, but some miraculous maneuvering to get the Bears into the play-offs and, if possible, a Super Bowl win would be the icing on the cake for an already great year for Zach.

Jake and Elwood never really change.  They have a plethora of places to sleep, plenty of food and water, and enough exercise from trying to stay away from Adelie.  Save yourself the sleigh space.  They don’t need anything.

Thanks for your consideration.  If you feel like you need a little more information before making your decision about whether or not we will end up on the ‘nice’ list, you can always check out our blog at http://ezsanck.blogspot.com.  Otherwise, enjoy the cookies and I’ll look forward to a little more quiet, a little more sleep, a few less tears, and a Bear’s Super Bowl win.

Until next year,


Ellen Sancken

No comments:

Post a Comment